Proficient Health Helps Behavioral Health Center Automate Referrals and Fill Beds
Vidant Adult Behavioral Health Center is an inpatient psychiatric care facility affiliated with Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital. The Vidant team was being flooded by as many as 11,000 faxed pages of referrals a month from hospitals looking for available beds. “Our fax machine never stopped,” explains Beverly Connor, Behavioral Health Services Business Development Manager for Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital. “It was taking us so long to sort through the paper that it increased the likelihood a patient would be placed elsewhere by the time we replied.”
To end the paper chase, Vidant now uses Proficient Capture – a web-based service that takes the place of the facility’s fax machine. Hospitals and other care providers still fax referrals to the same Vidant number, but the information is captured as an electronic image, immediately accessible online. Proficient Health also created a custom, web-based intake form for Vidant to help triage cases and determine if a patient meets admission criteria. The form can be viewed side by side with referral documents, making it simple to scroll, capture critical information and sort cases based on fit.
• Faster response to admission opportunities. The Vidant team finds it much faster to review, process and respond to incoming referrals – which means increased opportunities for new admissions. Physicians can log in to review and approve a pending case whether they are in the office, on the road or working from home.
• More referrals captured. Bottlenecks from busy signals or a fax machine out of paper are a thing of the past. Vidant is now capturing 65 percent more referrals than it did via paper fax, which offers the opportunity to place more patients appropriately and fill more beds.
• Ready access to information and reports. Information captured on intake forms now can be used to generate a wide variety of reports that once took hours to construct manually – from the number of referrals in queue to the productivity of individual triage team members. “We have transparent access to the information we need to take action and continuously improve,” Connor says.
• Operational and cost efficiencies. Vidant is realizing a number of operational and cost efficiencies. The simplicity of the solution means the clinical staff can spend more time with patients and less on tedious paperwork. Nurses can now be cross-trained in how to review referrals and triage potential admissions, and individual team members can process more referrals in less time. Paper and toner costs are eliminated, and issues with lost or misfiled faxes have disappeared. Vidant also plans to export the information Proficient Health captures directly into its electronic medical records platform for a seamless flow of information.
• Simple implementation. Since Proficient Health services are delivered online, implementation was easy. Vidant only needed to approve its new intake form and turn off its fax machine. “Our staff got it right away,” Connor said. “It is very simple and direct to use.”
To learn more about Proficient Health solutions for behavioral health providers, contact us today at 336-389-6600.
About Vidant Health
Vidant Health, a mission-driven, not-for-profit corporation, owns, leases or has a majority membership interest in nine eastern North Carolina hospitals. The health system includes Vidant Beaufort Hospital, Vidant Bertie Hospital, Vidant Chowan Hospital, Vidant Duplin Hospital, Vidant Edgecombe Hospital, The Outer Banks Hospital, Vidant Medical Center, Vidant Pungo Hospital, Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital, Vidant Home Health and Hospice, Vidant Wellness Centers, Vidant Medical Group and is affiliated with the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. On the web at www.vidanthealth.com.
About Proficient Health
Proficient Health is a healthcare information technology company specializing in solutions for the secure exchange of private data. Our affordable, online services connect physicians, hospitals and other healthcare providers – helping them easily capture and share information, improve service and care delivery, drive down costs, speed reimbursement and get more out of their electronic medical records platform. For more information on Proficient Health and the solutions it provides, visit www.proficienthealth.com.
- ‹ Previous Study
- Next Study ›